fittings are specially designed fittings meant to allow free flow of
liquids in tank, drum drainage and other plumbing connections. These
fittings are also used as distribution outlets in a piping system.
Bulkhead fittings provide full flow of water and they are also used to
attach flexible pipes with the help of male adapters. These fittings
usually have left handed threads, which help to keep the fitting intact
and tight while installing the male adapter. When used with unions,
bulkhead fittings facilitate the removal of pumps and accessories.
Bulkhead fittings also come with nuts and gaskets as accessories. The
gaskets are usually purchased separately.
Bulkhead fittings designed for pipes are usually made of durable and
strong materials like:
Parts of a bulkhead fitting:
As seen in the above figure, the measurements of A, B and C are
required to get an actual measurement of this kind of fitting.
The factors that are to be considered for
purchase of bulkhead fittings are as follows:
- While purchasing bulkhead fittings in bulk, you should
determine the thread size of fitting.
- The size of the fitting is also an important consideration
before buying bulkhead fittings.
- As bulkhead fittings are used as distribution outlets in
piping systems, determining the diameter of the bulkhead fitting
is very important.
- The quality and strength of the material used for making the
fitting is also an important consideration.
- Easy installation
- Easy adaptation
Types of bulkhead fittings:
- Bulkhead fittings provide a water tight seal through plastic
- Using a plastic bulkhead fitting help to remove stress cracks and
- They permit a free flow of liquids for tank or drum drainage or
- Bulkhead fittings can also be used as outlets for distribution
into a piping system.
Bulkhead fittings are available in various types. Some bulkheads are
threaded while some are not. Before going for bulkhead fittings, buyers
should always consider whether it is threaded or not. Some popular types
of bulkhead fittings are like as follows:
- Threaded Bulkhead Fittings: Bulkheads are threaded both
inside & outside and on both the ends. While buying bulkhead
fittings, it should be always considered whether it is threaded or
not. Threaded fittings are divided into two types:
- Standard threaded bulkhead fittings: These fittings
are threaded on the outer side of both ends and inner side of
the front end. However, the inner side of the opposite end is
- Double threaded bulkhead fittings: These bulkhead
fittings are threaded both on the front and back.
- Slip Bulkhead Fittings:
These fittings have slip on the ends and are ideal for adapting an
overflow in the side of a water container or a flow-through opening
in a wet or dry filter. There are some double slip bulkhead
fittings, which are slip both on the front and the back. A PVC pipe
or any other slip PVC fittings can be attached to either end of