Pipe Fitting by Material
|Materials Used||Selection Criteria||Types|
Pipes are primarily meant for transporting various solids and fluids. Pipes and pipe fittings are therefore constructed from a wide range of materials. In fact, type of material of pipe fittings varies on the basis of the type of pipe used. Pipe fittings are manufactured from various materials for the transport of different varieties of solids and fluids.
The material of the pipe fitting is a very important consideration for buyers. As a wide variety of materials are used for making fittings, selecting the right material for the right application is very important. Pipes can be either made of metals or plastic of various grades.
Common materials used in pipe fittings:
Common materials of construction for pipe fittings include metals like aluminum, brass, bronze, carbon , stainless steel, cast iron, titanium, zirconium, rubber and plastic like EPDM, CPVC, elastomer, nylon, polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP), PTFE or PTFE lined, polyvinyl chloride (PVC), and other materials like ceramic or ceramic lined, clay or vitrified clay, concrete, fiberglass or composite, glass or glass lined etc.
Selection criteria for pipe fittings:
The pipe fittings “bodies” are most often of the same base material as the pipe or tube in which they are to be connected, e.g., steel, polyvinyl chloride (PVC), copper or other plastic or metal. Besides this, any material that is allowed by a code or a standard can also be used. For example, a pipe fitting made of are brass is common in otherwise copper piping and plumbing systems. The materials of construction of pipe fittings must satisfy certain criteria like as follows:
- The material of construction must be compatible with the other materials in the system.
- It must be compatible with the fluids or solids being transported.
- It should withstand fluctuating temperatures inside and outside of the system.
- It should also be compatible with different pressure levels.
- Fire hazards, earthquakes, and other unforeseen factors also influence pipe fitting materials.
- Pipe fitting material specifications and construction are application-dependent.
- For optimization of component selection, user consultation with fitting suppliers is a must.
- The materials of construction should also conform to certain standards like BSP, NPT, ASME, ASTM, DIN, JIS etc.
- Surface finish is equally important. It is to be noted that all pipe fittings should have a proper finish as pipe fittings are constantly in harsh environments. Corrosion resistant property of the materials is an essential requirement.
Based on the material used, pipe fittings can be grouped under the following heads:
|Aluminum Pipe Fittings||Cast Iron Pipe Fittings||Copper Pipe Fittings|
|Malleable Pipe Fittings||Plastic Pipe Fittings||Steel Pipe Fittings|
|Brass Pipe Fittings|