/ Pipe Fitting by Material
Pipe Fitting by Material
Pipes are primarily meant for transporting various solids and fluids. Pipes and pipe fittings are therefore constructed from a wide range of materials. In fact, type of material of pipe fittings varies on the basis of the type of pipe used. Pipe fittings are manufactured from various materials for the transport of different varieties of solids and fluids.
The material of the pipe fitting is a very important consideration for buyers. As a wide variety of materials are used for making fittings, selecting the right material for the right application is very important. Pipes can be either made of metals or plastic of various grades.
Common materials used in pipe fittings:
Common materials of construction for pipe fittings include metals like
aluminum, brass, bronze, carbon , stainless steel, cast iron, titanium,
zirconium, rubber and plastic like EPDM, CPVC, elastomer, nylon,
polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP), PTFE or PTFE lined, polyvinyl
chloride (PVC), and other materials like ceramic or ceramic lined, clay
or vitrified clay, concrete, fiberglass or composite, glass or glass
Selection criteria for pipe fittings:
The pipe fittings “bodies” are most often of the same base
material as the pipe or tube in which they are to be connected, e.g.,
steel, polyvinyl chloride (PVC), copper or other plastic or metal.
Besides this, any material that is allowed by a code or a standard can
also be used. For example, a pipe fitting made of are brass is common in
otherwise copper piping and plumbing systems. The materials of
construction of pipe fittings must satisfy certain criteria like as
Types of pipe fittings:
- The material of construction must be compatible with the other
materials in the system.
- It must be compatible with the fluids or solids being
- It should withstand fluctuating temperatures inside and outside
of the system.
- It should also be compatible with different pressure levels.
- Fire hazards, earthquakes, and other unforeseen factors also
influence pipe fitting materials.
- Pipe fitting material specifications and construction are
- For optimization of component selection, user consultation with
fitting suppliers is a must.
- The materials of construction should also conform to certain
standards like BSP, NPT, ASME, ASTM, DIN, JIS etc.
- Surface finish is equally important. It is to be noted that all
pipe fittings should have a proper finish as pipe fittings are
constantly in harsh environments. Corrosion resistant property of
the materials is an essential requirement.
Based on the material used, pipe fittings can be grouped under the
The points mentioned below will be a guide for the buyers: